Do you want to work with injured or orphaned wildlife? Do you want to develop the skills to rehabilitate and release wild animals? Do you dream of one day opening your own rehabilitation center? If so, our Certificate Program in Wildlife Rehabilitation is for you! Our comprehensive program will help you to:
- Become a licensed wildlife rehabilitator
- Administer first aid and medical care to injured wildlife
- Identify and treat wounds, burns and fractures
- Create proper diets based on sound nutrition
- Minimize the risk of disease transmission
- Create effective educational programs
- Safely handle, transport and train wildlife for use in environmental education
- Build appropriate housing and exhibits
- Manage human-wildlife conflicts
- Prepare for state wildlife rehabilitation exams
- And much, much more!
The Wildlife Rehabilitation certificate requires the completion of five online courses (15 academic credits) and a field requirement consisting of 40 hours of hands-on experience as an employee, intern or volunteer at an approved institution of your choice. The required courses for this certificate program are:
- ABI 142 Environmental Education & Outreach
- ABI 214 Principles of Wildlife Rehabilitation
- ABI 262 Wildlife Management
- ABI 311 Animal Nutrition, Health & Disease
You will also select one elective from the following:
- ABI 222 Animal Enrichment
- ABI 233 Animal Training
- ABI 281 Avian Training
- ABI 331 Animal Behavior: An Evolutionary Approach
Upon graduation, students may begin using the designation CWRP, Certified Wildlife Rehabilitation Professional. Some graduates open their own business in wildlife education or management. Others work in sanctuaries, private clinics or as part of a larger institution such as a zoo, aquarium or museum. Opportunities range from volunteering in an existing institution to opening your own wildlife sanctuary.
Our program in Wildlife Rehabilitation is unlike any other distance education program. Students at the Animal Behavior Institute participate in a highly interactive online classroom, engaging in regular dialog with their professors and student colleagues. Students receive feedback each week, working on collaborative projects while training their own animals. This allows them to achieve a deeper level of understanding than they would develop on their own. This collaboration, coupled with the mentoring each student receives from their instructors, ensures that they receive a very personal education.
Tuition is $1,260 per course; the total tuition for the certificate program is $6,300 (textbooks are purchased separately). Tuition assistance is available via interest-free financing. If you have questions on the program, or need help getting started, please contact us at (866) 755-0448 or via email at email@example.com.
Learn more about Careers in Wildlife Rehabilitation.
Click here for a list of Wildlife Rehabilitators by state