Certificate Program (15 credits)
This certificate offers an innovative, in-depth study of feline training, building upon the fundamental skills learned in the Feline Training & Behavior program. Students will go far beyond simply designing a training plan. Emphasis will be on the analysis of real case studies; students are encouraged to bring their personal training challenges to class as well. You will develop critical problem-solving skills, working with owners through the process of diagnosis, construction of treatment plans, and a quantitative approach to re-evaluation and training adjustments. Graduates will be well prepared to help owners implement effective long-term solutions. Your training will allow you to:
- Assess behavioral issues in cats and create effective treatment plans.
- Integrate multiple techniques to change feline behaviors, including training, enrichment and environmental management.
- Handle severe cases of ongoing aggression.
- Identify the triggers for problem behaviors.
- Treat multiple behavioral issues that occur simultaneously.
- Understand cognitive dysfunction and how to address it.
- Effectively treat persistent behavioral problems and and create extended treatment plans.
- Work effectively with owners to develop long term compliance.
- Tailor treatment plans to the family structure of the owners.
- And much, much more!
Please note that the Animal Behavior Institute is the only institution of higher learning to offer specialized programs tailored to the needs of cat behaviorists and trainers.
The Advanced Feline Training certificate requires the completion of the three required classes for the specialized certificate program in Feline Training & Behavior plus two additional classes, for a total of five online courses (15 academic credits). Students in the feline program must also complete a field requirement, 40 hours of hands-on experience as an employee, intern or volunteer at an approved institution of your choice.
Please note that students in the Advanced Feline Training program do not need to complete the field requirement more than once; the field hours used for the Feline Training & Behavior specialized certificate can also be used to satisfy the field requirement for the Advanced Feline Training certificate.
The required courses for this certificate are:
- ABI 235 Feline Training
- ABI 272 Feline Behavior & Enrichment
- ABI 313 Feline Health & Nutrition
- ABI 335 Advanced Feline Training (prerequisite is ABI 235 Feline Training)
You will also choose one elective from the following:
- ABI 126 Animal Minds & Emotions
- ABI 222 Animal Enrichment
- ABI 331 Animal Behavior: An Evolutionary Approach
Upon graduation, students may begin using the designation CAFTP, Certified Advanced Feline Training Professional. Many of our graduates start their own businesses after obtaining their certificate, working as independent cat trainers and behavioral consultants. Other graduates find work in kennels, animal shelters, veterinary practices, animal control agencies, sanctuaries or other cat-related organizations. The animal care and service industry, which includes animal trainers, is expected to grow at 15% over the next decade. Opportunities in training have never been greater!
The cost of the certificate program is $6,300 (this does not include the cost of textbooks, purchased separately). Tuition assistance is available via interest-free financing.
Discounted insurance is available to all ABI students and alumni