Advanced Canine Training
This certificate offers an innovative, in-depth study of canine training, building upon the fundamental skills learned in the Canine Training & Behavior program. Students will go far beyond simply designing a training plan. You will learn how to incorporate principles of behavioral science to identify training goals, and to develop and evaluate treatment programs for dogs. We will tackle different canine behavioral problems in a variety of settings and evaluate change across settings and time. You will also analyze case studies, learn how to manage dog-dog play interactions, and be introduced to a variety of specialized training and canine competition options; students are encouraged to share their personal training challenges with the class. The program will also incorporate material on working with clients to maintain effective behavior change in their dogs, producing long-lasting results. Your education will allow you to:|
- Develop comprehensive training goals in a variety of situations.
- Choose effective and ethical training tools.
- Understand breed differences in training contexts.
- Know the etiology of common problem behaviors.
- Incorporate behavioral science into training and problem solving.
- Objectively measure behavior & behavior change.
- Explain and recognize important considerations for specialized training and competition (e.g., agility, disc, flyball, rally, schutzhund).
- Accurately read canine body language to effectively manage safe dog-dog play groups.
- Incorporate cognitive challenges, enrichment and choice into your training plan.
- Read and critically discuss case studies on canine problem behaviors.
- And much, much more!
The Advanced Canine Training certificate requires the completion of the three required classes for the specialized certificate program in Canine Training & Behavior plus two additional classes, for a total of five online courses (15 academic credits). Students in the canine programs must also complete a field requirement of 40 hours.
Please note that students in the Advanced Canine Training program do not need to complete the field requirement more than once; the field hours used for the Canine Training & Behavior specialized certificate can also be used to satisfy the field requirement for the Advanced Canine Training certificate.
The required courses for this certificate are:
- ABI 234 Canine Training
- ABI 271 Canine Behavior & Enrichment
- ABI 312 Canine Health & Nutrition
- ABI 334 Advanced Canine Training (prerequisite is ABI 234 Canine Training)
You will also choose one elective from the following:
- ABI 126 Animal Minds & Emotions
- ABI 222 Animal Enrichment
- ABI 238 Training Your Therapy Dog
- ABI 331 Animal Behavior
Upon graduation, students may begin using the designation CACTP, Certified Advanced Canine Training Professional. Many of our graduates start their own businesses after obtaining their certificate, working as independent dog trainers and behavioral consultants. Other graduates find work in kennels, animal shelters, veterinary practices, animal control agencies, service dog institutions, sanctuaries or other dog-related organizations. The animal care and service industry, which includes animal trainers, is expected to grow at 15% over the next decade. Opportunities in training have never been greater!
The cost of the certificate program is $5,925 (this does not include the cost of textbooks, purchased separately). Tuition assistance is available via interest-free financing. Qualified military spouses may have up to $4000 covered by MyCAA.
Discounted insurance is available to all ABI students and alumni